Monday, October 6, 2014

An Old Favorite Recipe

  Here is an old blog post I found with one of my favorite recipes! This sounds so good right now! :) Enjoy! 



    Cooking on a budget while continuing to send those taste buds into a flavor coma starts with the basics and ends with creative combinations! Since moving into our new home, we have been able to do our own grocery shopping and cooking again. Part of my most recent conviction is to cook healthy, well balanced meals while staying within a strict budget. Unfortunately in todays economy, eating healthy clean foods is not a budget conscious endeavor. You can buy a big package of Ramon noodles for the price of an orange. It has been an interesting year of learning what kinds of staples are wise and healthy options and understanding how to make several meals from a few staples. 

                I love expressing myself creatively in any way that I can. Over the last few years I began experimenting with cooking; creating original dishes that burst with flavor, leading to a symphony of harmonious savor. The most recent concoction my husband and I attempted was a pasta dish marinated in an alfredo based sauce, with shrimp, fresh garlic, spinach, artichokes and *cherry tomatoes. I loved the simplicity of this dish while yet being pleasantly surprised by the rich bursting flavor that met our taste buds with genuine enthusiasm. 

 We have discovered that pasta is a fabulous and inexpensive staple that is very filling in small portions, so it can go a long way. We love spinach and artichoke dip (the inspiration for this entree), therefore because spinach has so many great vitamins I've been trying to find ways to incorporate it in our meals. A cheese based sauce with spinach and artichokes and fresh garlic was a great inexpensive way to add a little zest to our meal. I really wanted to experiment with different meats outside of our typical chicken breasts and ground beef meals. So I decided to try shrimp. I was really surprised to discover how inexpensive a bag of cooked frozen shrimp ended up being. We didn't even use half of the 1lb. bag I bought for this meal. 

Over all I am learning that there are very simple inexpensive ways to dress up a meal and add a little excitement to our pallets. I want to be excited to cook while still learning how to plan our menus wisely and effectively. What are some of your favorite family dishes that have been easy and inexpensive? What are your families favorite staples?


Spinach and Artichoke Alfredo Fettuccine

1/2 lb. whole wheat fettuccine pasta   
1/3 a small bag of frozen spinach
1/2 16oz. can of artichoke hearts chopped
1 to 2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 lb. frozen cooked shrimp
16 oz. jar of alfredo sauce or homemade sauce if you prefer

*we weren't fond of the cherry tomatoes, however if you like tomatoes we cut them up in quarters and let them sweat in a hot skillet after sautéing the vegetables and shrimp. 

Boil water with olive oil and a pinch of salt for pasta. Meanwhile prepare garlic and artichokes and sauté in olive oil with frozen spinach. Cook pasta when water is boiling. Add the shrimp and let warm through completely. Add the alfredo sauce to veggies and meat and let simmer for 10 to 15 min. Pour over cooked pasta.

We served it with fresh herbed bread and olive oil and parmesan cheese to dip. 

Enjoy! Share it with your family and friends! 

Love,
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think by leaving me a comment here!