Saturday, May 9, 2015

From a New Mom to Her Own Mom

Dear Mom,

          I didn’t realize how much work, time, worry, and love you gave and sacrificed for me until I became a mom myself. Looking at my little one year old today, while feeling the kicking baby in my womb gives me such a deep appreciation and understanding of what it meant for you to be my mom. 

           Motherhood is hard work. I’ve never been so tired, so stressed, so worried about every little thing about my growing daughter as I’ve been this past year.  I’ve also never experienced a love like this before. Becoming a mom has shown me what passionate dedication it takes to raising a child; what a deep, sacrificial love it takes to teach and help my child learn and grow. I worry about what she eats, how she sleeps, what she is learning and has failed to learn. I worry about her love for Jesus and how I can teach her how to love Him more; to know Him. I worry about the little things, like temper-tantrums and moments of rebellion. I worry that I’m not doing enough, giving enough, teaching enough, loving enough. 

         I prayed for my daughter, wished for her, dreamed for her, and now that God gave her to me I couldn’t imagine loving her anymore. Yet, as she grows so does the bond I have with her. The joy of sacrificing for her needs and wants far exceeds anything I imagined. But this is nothing new to you. You prayed for me, wished for me and wanted me before I was born. When I came, you spent your years giving and sacrificing for me in ways I couldn’t see, didn’t understand, and never acknowledged. You gave to me and your six other kids for the last 21 years and you are still giving and serving day after day. 

           I know there have been days growing up, when I struggled to understand you and appreciate you; when I struggled to see and feel your love. But today as I walk my fussy baby around the house and struggle to find time to pee, I think of you and see the little/big things you did and still do for me and all your kids. My love for my kids is only showing me the tip of the iceberg. I’ve only been a mom for such a short time, but you have spent the majority of your life sacrificing and loving your kids. I still have so much to learn from you.

         I appreciate you and the sacrifices you have made for me. I can see the time and thought, (and probably tears) that went into raising me to be a child after God’s heart. While I’m not a perfect replica of you, I hope I can put as much love and sacrifice into my role as a mom as you did for me. I want you to know that as I struggle and learn, during my bad days and good, I’ll be thinking of you and all the love that you poured into me day after day, year after year.

I love you.


With an Earnest Love,
From a new mom to her own mom,

Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think by leaving me a comment here!